Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Lee Valley Jar Opener

Via: Cool Tools

"I always used a spoon until I was given one of these lid poppers. I was skeptical, but I now find myself reaching for it without even thinking. It's an 8.5 by 5 cm piece of metal, bent in the middle and curved at each end to accommodate just about any size jar lid. It's very simple and straightforward. You simply place it on the top of the jar with either of the rolled sides caught just under the edge of the lid (which side of the opener depends on the lid size). Your fingers hold the piece in place, which acs as a lever, and the bend in the metal serves as the fulcrum. The downward pressure of the heel of your hand provides just enough force to release the vacuum without distorting the lid. I can happily report no more bent spoon handles, no more splatters, no more spills, just a nice "pop" sound when the vacuum has been broken; then I know I am home free. I have not tried the plastic JarPop, but I've had this steel one for at least 3 years and it has never bent in anyway, nor has it rusted."
-- Ellen Rocco

No comments: