Monday, March 24, 2008

I'm Home...For Now

I just want to say thank you to everyone who's been thinking about me and my family and praying for us and I would especially like to thank the people who left a comment. That was so very nice of y'all. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

My dad is still on life support. He is not responding to anything. Doesn't flinch when they squeeze his fingers. His pupils are dilated. He does open his eyes from time to time and kind of move his eyes.

I was able to talk to the neurologist while I was there and the outcome is not good. They like to give the person 72 hours after an event (his heart stopping) occurs to see if they will wake up. They're giving my dad extra time since he had an infection and since he was on some strong medicine before the actual surgery. But since it's been seven days since the event, they don't see any chance of him waking up. The question now is: Would my dad want to be kept alive by a machine. My stepmom said no, but she's just not ready to let him go.

My stepmom, Debbie, is one of the sweetest people I've ever known. I stayed with her the two nights I was in Arkansas and I can tell you, I don't think she ever stopped crying. She's not sleeping hardly at all. It makes my heart hurt to see her and hear what she says to dad when she's in the room with him during the visitation hours at the hospital. It's one of the most heart-wrenching things I've ever witnessed. I left Arkansas yesterday with the understanding that Debbie will call me when she's ready to let Dad go. I don't know when that will be, but I want to be there for that.

No comments: