Monday, March 24, 2008

Veterans Hospital

I haven't mentioned this before, but my dad is at the Veterans Hospital there in Little Rock. That is sad in and of itself - seeing all these people who served our country walking around trying to get someone, anyone to go buy them cigarettes - they would give you the money if you'd only go buy them a pack of smokes.

There was one man there who told us he was in this country illegally. That he's from the Planet X which is a planet near Neptune which is blue and green - the only planet out there that they believe is habitable. The blue they think is water and the green they think is plantlife. He also said he had a nightmare the night before of Vietnam. I couldn't help but think he'd lost his mind because of his experience in the military.

While I was getting up to leave to make the five-hour trip back home, I said, "Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt y'all. But I just want to thank y'all for serving our country. I know many people don't appreciate it, but I do."

You would have thought I had just given them a million dollars each. You could see the pride in their eyes and hear it in their voices when they said, "You're very welcome, ma'am."

No comments: