Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sucking Your Thumb For Comfort - My Home Depot Experience

Shorty and I ventured out to Home Depot this afternoon to buy Papa Rooster a birthday present. His birthday is Sunday. Since he never reads my blog, I won't be in any danger of giving away the surprise that I actually bought him something for his birthday - unlike me on my birthday, which he totally forgot. I won't go into that now. Tisk, tisk, tisk.

Anyway, we're at Home Depot checking out. Shorty is sucking on her pacifier (or pa-pa) as she calls it. The checker said something to her and for some reason or another I said something, like, yeah, she's over two years old and still sucking on a pacifier.

This lady proceeds to tell me that she sucked her thumb all the way until she was in junior high. Fast forward from junior high school to this lady turning 39 years old. The poor woman had a stroke at 39 years of age. She said her father walked into her hospital room and found her curled up in the bed sucking her thumb. She said if she gets real sick, she always sucks her thumb. She told me once she puts her thumb in her mouth, it's like taking a Valium.

I thought it was neat that this lady shared this story with me. It just reassures me that I don't have to throw away all of Shorty's pa-pas. If it brings Shorty comfort, then I don't see any harm in it.

No comments: