Monday, November 5, 2007

I'm Back


I guess you can tell we're back from Arkansas. Even if we gained an hour this weekend, I'm still tired.
This picture is of a tree in front of the Mena Public Library where they were having a
"Birds of Prey" exhibit. Let me try to explain the library. It's about the size of -- well, you can only imagine how small the building is since the population of Mena is less than 6,000.
We walk into the building and there's a humongous owl - gorgeous, by the way, but it nonetheless gives me the willies. Owls freak me out because they remind me of the exorcist when their heads do a 360 or a 180 or whatever that degree is. I failed geometry in high school; can you tell?
Anyway, there's a handful of people there sitting in chairs, listening to these people talk about the birds of prey. There's also a cute, little owl sitting on top of a plastic animal crate. There's a bird perched on the arm of one of the presenters and there's this humongous, white bird sitting on a perch right near the entrance to the library. Mind you, this big ol' white bird is attached to the perch via a leather shackle to his leg or paw or claw or talon or whatever you call it.
Shorty is holding my hand as we walk into the building. Then, an employee of the library, who is standing behind the counter, says, "Oh, oh, please watch your baby around that bird." We are approximately five foot from the bird at this point - never got closer to it than that for fear the bird would attack us with his five-inch long, hooked nose. Needless to say, we left the birds of prey exhibit.
We had a great time in Mena. It is absolutely gorgeous this time of year.

No comments: