Monday, November 5, 2007

Sayings

I love funny sayings or maybe not so funny sayings. Maybe poignant sayings is a better term. Who the hell knows what I'm trying to say? I sure as hell don't. Maybe you'll figure out the correct terms I'm looking for when you read these lines.

From the 2006 Farmers Almanac:
"The best way to make a dream come true is to wake up."

"A lot of our troubles is caused by too much bone in the head and not enough in the back."

From The Polk County Pulse:
"The reason grandparents and grandchildren get along well is that they have a common enemy."

From the wonderful book I just finished reading, "Gap Creek":
"As I scrubbed the floor I was scrubbing part of the world. And I was scrubbing my mind to make it clear. It was work that made me think clear, and it was work that made me humble. I could never talk fast, and I could never say what I meant to people, or tell them what they meant to me. My tongue was never loosened by my feelings. It was with my hands and with my back and shoulders that I could say how I felt. I had to talk with my arms and my strong hands."

"There ain't nothing special about your troubles."

"If only good people could get to heaven then there wouldn't hardly be anybody there."

"...he knowed as well as I did it was better to sing with others than to stand off silent by yourself."

While in the midst of child labor - "This is my work, I thought. This is work only I can do. This is work meant for me from the beginning of time. And this is work leading through me in an endless chain of people all the way to the end of time. Other women have done their work down the course of the years, and now it's my turn. There's nothing to do but take hold of the pain and wrestle with it. It was not a choice to give in."

After the birth of the baby - "This is what leads to everything else."

"Time can't end, for what would follow would be time too."

"There's nothing that makes you feel as helpless as a baby that's sick. It's your job to do something about it, but you don't know what."

No comments: