Sunday, August 26, 2007

Do You Sometimes Suffer From Vertigo?

I took my grandmother to the doctor years ago because she had vertigo from time to time. In the doctor's office, they put her on the table and they moved her in certain positions. First they put this vibrator deal on her ear that looked like a beeper and they affixed it to her head using a neon pink headband. She looked like Olivia Newton John. I thought for a second "Let's Get Physical, Physical" would start belting out over the PA system. During her "positioning", she got extremely dizzy and I had to help the nurse physically move Gram around. While this was going on, Gram yelled out, "Shelley, what are you doing on the floor?"

I could hardly control myself I was laughing so hard. I almost peed my pants. Gram was so dizzy, she thought I was laying on the floor. I wish Gram were alive today because I would ask her, Why in the hell would I be on the floor in your doctor's office? I was laughing so hard and I could not stop. After completing the procedure of flip-flopping Gram all over the table, the nurse and Gram and I were laughing so hard I think we all had tears in our eyes. Laughter is contagious.

Anyway, Mom has been suffering from some bad episodes of vertigo lately. I couldn't remember the exact positions they put Gram in, so I went searching on the internet and I found this wonderful site:

BPPV -- BENIGN PAROXYSMAL POSITIONAL VERTIGO

There's a great video animation that shows you how its done on the website listed above
http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/movies/Epley-480x640.avi

Here is a picture that shows you exactly how to do the positioning to clear your inner ear. I wouldn't be mentioning any of this at all had the doctor not given Gram orders to perform this exercise at home by herself. Of course, be sure you don't have far to fall if you get too dizzy. And make sure I'm not in the room with you because you might think I have super powers and can fly if you see me floating near the ceiling!

No comments: