Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What The Hell Is Bicarbonate Of Soda?

This question may make me sound like a dumbass, but in reality, I am kind of a dumbass. As some of you may know, I love to watch the show How Clean Is Your House that stars the Queens of Clean, Aggie and Kim. Kim is the blonde lady that absolutely cracks me up. Anyway, they are always talking about bicarbonate of soda and I have no earthly idea what that is. The only thing that comes to mind when they say those words is baking soda. Is that the same thing? I'll find out the answer so all of us can learn something today.

Here's the first definition I found:
Bicarbonate of soda - is an alkaline raising agent used in recipes that contain an acid ingredient such as buttermilk or lemon juice - ideal for soda bread. It is one of the ingredients of baking powder. It can be mixed with cream of tartar to produce a darkening effect in recipes containing chocolate, or in ginger cakes. Bicarbonate of soda can also help neutralise strong fruit acids like those in rhubarb or blackcurrants, alleviating the sour flavour

Yes, it defines bicarbonate of soda. But I guess I really want to know where the hell I can buy some bicarbonate of soda here in the US. Onto more searching.

bicarbonate of soda, sodium hydrogen carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, baking soda, saleratus (a white soluble compound (NaHCO3) used in effervescent drinks and in baking powders and as an antacid).

I think this answered my question, but just to make sure I'll try to find the definition of baking soda.

Baking Soda - Baking soda ("bicarbonate of soda") is a leavener used in baked goods. When mixed with an acid ingredient (such as butter-milk, yogurt, or molasses), baking soda produces carbon dioxide bubbles that make the dough rise.

Wow, I should have been a freakin' detective.

Let your minds rest, other weird people like me who let little things like this irritate them. Bicarbonate of soda = baking soda. Let the home remedies commence.

No comments: